Property and Casualty Insurance Claims
Property and casualty insurance serves two purposes: (a) it protects the policyholder against property losses to his car, home or business; and (b) it protects the policyholder against legal liability for injuries to another person or damage to another person’s property. It is a means of managing risk, for individuals and businesses, and provides some measure of peace of mind. While the importance of having insurance is clear, once a loss is suffered, the value of that insurance may be contingent on the skill and experience of your New York insurance law attorney in enforcing your rights under your policy.
Understand Your Policy
Insurance policies are notoriously difficult to understand, no matter how educated or experienced the policyholder. Insurance companies know this, and will use it against you. If you do not have an experienced New York insurance law attorney on your side, you are operating from a distinct disadvantage. The insurance company may use its superior knowledge of the policy and/or its perceived authority to dispute the existence of coverage, the extent of coverage, or the value of your loss.
We Can Help
Having a New York insurance law attorney on your side helps to level the playing field in your dealings with the insurance company. Here are some of the ways we can help protect your rights under a property and casualty policy:
- We understand how insurance companies work and know how to navigate the claims process.
- We maintain contact with the insurance company so that your claim does not languish.
- Should the insurance company dispute your claim, we attempt to negotiate a favorable resolution.
- If no resolution is forthcoming, we aggressively pursue your right to coverage and benefits through litigation (a lawsuit) or arbitration.
- If you get sued, and the insurance company refuses to defend or indemnify you, we sue your insurance company to force it to defend/indemnify. While this suit plays out, we defend you in the underlying action and then look to your insurance company to pay our fees in that action.
Contact an Experienced Hiller, PC New York Insurance Lawyer
At Hiller, PC, we hold insurance companies to their obligations, and we get results. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance coverage and benefits for our clients. We can help you, too. You can reach us online, using the email form on this page, or call us directly, at 212-319-4000.