Michael S. Hiller
- Position: Managing Principal
- Location: 641 Lexington Ave. New York, NY 10022
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (212) 319-4000
Michael S. Hiller, Founding Member
Michael is the founding and managing principal of Hiller, PC. He has built a career on fighting for his clients against large institutions, multi-national corporations, and state and local governments. And he has enjoyed extraordinary success.
Designated the “protector of the little guy” by the New York Law Journal, Michael believes that the law should be deployed to protect the public good and to vindicate the rights of those wrongfully aggrieved. He has built a reputation on representing clients who have been oppressed by large institutions and societal bullies that seek to exploit the law for their own benefit. His areas of practice include commercial litigation, real estate litigation, preservation law and litigation, zoning and environmental litigation, insurance law and litigation, cannabis litigation, and advocating for those with disabilities.
Michael’s successes have been well recognized over the years, and include his having been named a SuperLawyer for the New York Metropolitan Area for the last 14 consecutive years, a Life Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, the winner of the International Hope Award, one the top five “Power Counsel” in New York by the Commercial Observer, the winner of the Grassroots Preservation Award conferred by the Historic Districts Council, one of the top 30 Cannabis Litigators in the United States by Mg Magazine, 420 Advocate of the Year by Canna-Gather, a Cannabis Law Trailblazer by the National Law Journal, and most recently, one of three finalists for New York State Lawyer of the Year.
Michael is admitted to the Courts of the States of New York and New Jersey; the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; the District of New Jersey; the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit; and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Before becoming an attorney, Michael was a professional musician and composer. He has performed at multiple venues throughout the U.S., including Union Square Park, MCU Stadium, Liberty Science Center, The Bitter End, Red Lion, and Dylan’s.
Awards and Recognition
- Super Lawyers, New York City Metropolitan Area, 2009 – Present
- Life Member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Winner of the International Hope Award in 2018
- One the top five “Power Counsel” in New York by the Commercial Observer
- Winner of the 2017 Grassroots Preservation Award conferred by the Historic Districts Council
- One of the top 30 Cannabis Litigators in the United States by Mg Magazine
- 420 Advocate of the Year by Canna-Gather in 2018
- Cannabis Law Trailblazer by the National Law Journal,
- One of three finalists for New York State Lawyer of the Year.
- Aggrieved Disability Policyholders in New York are not Limited to Past Benefits as Remedy, 74 NYSBA J. 6 at 32 (July/August 2002)
- Acts of War Exclusions Do Not Apply in Tragedy, 226 N.Y.L.J. 56 at p.1, col. 1 (Sept. 19, 2001)
- Instructor, “Sisley v. U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, International Cannabis Bar Association” (Washington, D.C., June 2022)
- Instructor, “Annual Summary of Precedential Rulings and Litigation Trends in Cannabis Law, International Cannabis Bar Association (Washington, D.C., June 2022)
- Panelist, “Kids in Cannabis: A Life Saving Treatment,” Americans for Safe Access, 10th Annual National Medicinal Cannabis Conference (Apr. 2021)
- Moderator/Presenter, “Disability Insurance Webinar: Long Term Disability Insurance Claims vs. Social Security Disability Claims” (2020) (available on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hiller+pc)
- Presenter, “Disputes and Litigation with the Regulators,” International Cannabis Bar Association/Cannabis Law Institute (Oct. 2020)
- Moderator, “How to Impeach a President: A Seminar on the Constitutional Remedy of Last Resort in the Age of Trump,” John Jay College of Criminal Justice (New York, NY, Nov. 2019)
- “The Federal Cannabis Lawsuit and Why the Controlled Substance Act is Going Up in Smoke,” Def Con (Aug. 2018)
- Featured Presenter, “Cannabis and the United States Supreme Court,” Women Grow Summit (Colorado, Feb. 2018)
- Guest Lecturer, New York University, Stern School of Business (March 2003), “How Trust Principles Inform the Courts’ Interpretation of ERISA”
- Featured Speaker, Association of Trial Lawyers of America (Feb. 2002), “The Aftermath of Wurm v. Commercial Insurance.”
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, DC, Juris Doctor, cum laude (1991)
- National Moot Court Team
- Union College, Schenectady, New York, B.A. History with High Honors and Distinction (1988)
- Dean’s List
- Delphic Honor Society
- Student Body President
- New York State, 1992
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1993
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1993
- New Jersey, 1999
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 1999
- United States Supreme Court, 2020