Paul M. Kampfer
- Position: Senior Counsel
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (212) 319-4000, Ext. 4323
Paul M. Kampfer
Paul is the Co-Chair of the Disability Practice area at Hiller, PC. He has over 18 years of experience handing all aspects of disability insurance and ERISA long term disability claims.
Paul Kampfer has focused his legal career on assisting disabled clients obtain their disability benefits. His main focus is on ERISA (Group) Long Term Disability and Individual Disability Income cases. Paul also has experience handling Disability Retirement cases under the New York State Employees’ Retirement System; the New York City Employees’ Retirement System; and the Federal Employees Retirement System at both the application and appeal stages.
Regarding the ERISA Long Term Disability and Individual Disability Income policies, Paul has successfully handled claims against all major insurance companies, including UNUM, Prudential, CIGNA, Hartford, MetLife, Lincoln, Northwestern Mutual, Mass Mutual, Reliance Standard, and Sun Life. He has extensive experience managing disability cases at all stages of the claims process from preparing initial applications for benefits to monitoring long-term disability claims once approved; preparing comprehensive administrative appeals on denied claims; and, when necessary, litigating denied appeal. Paul always strives to get his client’s disability benefits approved on the initial application or on appeal, and avoid litigation whenever possible.
Paul’s dedication to helping disabled individuals is no surprise. From a young age, he went out of his way to help others in need. Prior to law school, Paul worked for a Social Security Disability firm handling administrative appeals of denied Social Security Disability Income claims. From this experience, he quickly realized that he wanted to focus his practice on disability insurance law following his graduation from law school. Paul takes great satisfaction in fighting for the disability benefits that his clients are rightfully entitled.
Originally from Long Island, Paul currently lives in northern Westchester County with his wife and dog. Outside of the office, Paul enjoys travelling the world, hiking, kayaking, spending time with family and friends, and rooting for his favorite sports teams – the New York Mets and the New York Football Giants.
Awards and Recognition
Recipient of the 2004 New York State Bar Association Law Student Legal Ethics Award for Albany Law School
- Disability Insurance Webinar: Long Term Disability Insurance Claims vs. Social Security Disability Claims (available on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hiller+pc)
- ERISA Attorney Fees Available for Legal Work During a Court-Ordered Remand in Disability Insurance Cases, New York Law Journal (Dec. 9, 2020)
- How Our Disability Lawyers Can Help You Successfully File your Disability Claim
- Our Disability Lawyers Can Monitor Your Approved Claim & Maintain Your Long Term Disability Benefits
- How Our Disability Attorneys Can Help You Successfully File an Appeal of a Denied Disability Claim;
- The Dangers of Social Media Interaction while on Long Term Disability;
- COVID Long Haulers and Disability Insurance Claims
- Albany Law School, J.D. (2005)
- Union College, B.S. (2001)
- New York State, 2006
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2006
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 2006
- United States District Court for the District of Connecticut, 2017
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2010